Sunday 7 February 2010

Cheese of the week - Montboissie

As can be ascertained from my previous post, I am more than partial to cheese - proper cheese, cheese with flavour, texture and character to set it apart from the flaccid yellow slabs of "mild Cheddar" that are the most pungent the uninformed or lily-livered can stretch to.

I'm not saying I'm a cheese snob - I regularly buy Seriously Strong or Colliers' Cheddar, but I do like to have something a little unusual among the five or so cheeses in the fridge at any given time.

Howard passed by a touring French market on Friday, and bought a selection for me.  The stall holder was mildly amused that for once he had a British customer whose response to each product sampled was "Have you got anything stronger?"

Eventually he came away with four fine treats - a lovely dry flavoured but creamy textured Chevre, a slab of Morbier, another mountain region classic, Tomme de Savoie, but a particularly aged one, not so much farmhouse mature, more essence of derelict barn!

There was one final cheese, one that was new to me - Montboissie.  It's a semi-soft rinded cheese, a relative of Morbier,  but without the ash layer in the middle.  It has a sweet pungency, with a slight sharp kick - really does melt in the mouth.  Ideal on a slab of slightly warm proper bread.

As it is probably only made on a small scale, I can't promise you'll be able to find some to try.  But if you do, get a slab and enjoy it!

No comments: