Friday 11 January 2008

This weekend in 1942

Another installment from The Wartime Weekend Gardener:

Second weekend of the year:

Plant out Red Cabbage seedlings.

Spread well-rotted manure over any areas of the veg plot not in use.


So a pretty quiet week. Good thing with the present weather. A couple of comments from me on the above information. Due to this country's slavish adherence to EU seed regulations, most wartime seed varieties are no longer available. These days, most red cabbage varieties are for Spring sowing. And don't spread manure on the area you've set aside for this year's root vegetables, unless you plan to enter them in the "Ugliest Veg" class. I'm waiting for the council to deliver the municipal compost for that.

We're lucky at our allotments as the local riding stables delivers their muck heap to us every few weeks. We were actually busy spreading a good layer of manure over our new allotment on the frostier days of the Christmas break. The steam rising from the dung heap was an amazing sight. The heap was so hot that the centre was turning to ash!

I was tempted to wrap a couple of potatoes in foil and cooking them in the heap. Instead, I prepared a special ericaceous compost heap for my blueberries and cranberries by building up layers of manure and conifer shreddings. As the council have been collected discarded Christmas trees this past week, hopefully they'll be delivering more wood shreddings so I can continue with this layer cake.

One evening as we were leaving the allotments, we saw a few Widgeon flying overhead. Last Saturday we decided to get off the bus from town a stop earlier and walk past the nearby lake. We were lucky enough to see three Shoveller ducks. All the time I've spent visiting wild places and nature reserves and I see two breeds of duck that I'd never seen in the wild a short way from my door.

Must make the most of any good weather this week end - this week has been almost literally a wash out.




No comments: